How to Serve Divorce Papers in Florida

How to Serve Divorce Papers in Florida

Going through a divorce can be an overwhelming and emotional process. One of the crucial steps in initiating a divorce is serving divorce papers to your spouse. In Florida, the law requires that divorce papers be served in a specific way to ensure that the process is fair and transparent. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to serve divorce papers in Florida.

Step 1: File for Divorce
Before serving divorce papers, you must first file a petition for divorce with the appropriate court in Florida. This petition outlines the reasons for the divorce and the desired terms of the settlement, including child custody, spousal support, and division of assets.

Step 2: Determine the Method of Service
In Florida, divorce papers can be served in several ways, including personal service, service by mail, service by publication, or service by certified mail with return receipt requested. Personal service is generally the most common and effective method.

Step 3: Hire a Process Server
To ensure proper service, it is recommended to hire a professional process server. They are experienced in serving legal documents and will ensure that the papers are served correctly and within the legal time frame.

See also  What Is the Difference Between Law and Policy

Step 4: Provide the Necessary Documents
Before the process server can serve divorce papers, you will need to provide them with the necessary documents, including the original petition for divorce, the summons, and any additional forms required by the court.

Step 5: Serve the Papers
The process server will personally deliver the divorce papers to your spouse. It is important that the papers are handed directly to your spouse, and a proof of service form is completed and returned to you.

Step 6: File the Proof of Service
Once the divorce papers have been served, the process server will complete the proof of service form, which should be filed with the court to provide evidence that your spouse has been properly served.


1. What happens if my spouse refuses to accept the divorce papers?
If your spouse refuses to accept the papers, the process server can leave them at their feet or with another responsible person at their residence or workplace. This is called “substituted service.”

See also  What Is Heir at Law

2. Can I serve the divorce papers myself?
In Florida, you cannot serve the divorce papers yourself. It is required by law that someone other than the petitioner serves the papers.

3. What if I don’t know my spouse’s whereabouts?
If you are unable to locate your spouse, you may request service by publication. This involves publishing a notice of the divorce in a local newspaper for a specific period of time.

4. Can I serve divorce papers by certified mail?
Yes, you can serve divorce papers by certified mail with return receipt requested. However, this method is only permissible if your spouse agrees to accept service by mail.

5. How long does my spouse have to respond after being served?
Once served, your spouse has 20 days to respond to the divorce petition.

6. Can I hire a friend or family member to serve the divorce papers?
No, Florida law requires that a professional process server or a sheriff’s deputy serves the divorce papers.

See also  How to Prevent 50/50 Custody

7. Can I serve the divorce papers at my spouse’s workplace?
Yes, you can serve the papers at your spouse’s workplace as long as they are personally handed to them.

8. What if I cannot afford a process server?
If you cannot afford a process server, you may request the court to serve the divorce papers by alternative means, such as through the sheriff’s office.

9. What happens if my spouse avoids service?
If your spouse actively avoids being served, you may request the court for alternate forms of service, such as service by publication or posting the papers on the courthouse bulletin board.

Serving divorce papers correctly is vital to ensure that the legal process can proceed smoothly. By following the steps outlined above and seeking professional assistance if needed, you can navigate through this challenging phase of your life with confidence and clarity.