How Much Is Child Support in NH

Child support is a critical aspect of divorce or separation cases involving children. It ensures that the non-custodial parent contributes financially to the upbringing and well-being of their children. In the state of New Hampshire (NH), child support guidelines are in place to determine the appropriate amount of financial support that a non-custodial parent should provide. This article will explore how child support is calculated in NH, as well as provide answers to frequently asked questions regarding child support.

How is child support calculated in NH?

In New Hampshire, child support is calculated using the Income Shares Model. This model takes into account both parents’ incomes, the number of children, and certain allowable deductions to determine a fair and equitable child support amount. The court will consider each parent’s gross income, which includes salary, bonuses, commissions, and self-employment income, among other sources.

Allowable deductions may include taxes, health insurance premiums, mandatory retirement contributions, and child support for other children from a previous relationship. Once both parents’ incomes have been determined and deductions accounted for, the court will use a formula to calculate the amount of child support owed.

See also  Where Do I Go to File for Emergency Custody

FAQs about child support in NH:

1. How long does child support last in NH?
Child support in NH typically continues until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, but not beyond the age of 19.

2. Can child support be modified in NH?
Yes, child support orders can be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances, such as a significant increase or decrease in income or a change in the child’s needs.

3. Can child support be enforced in NH?
Yes, the NH Division of Child Support Services is responsible for enforcing child support orders. They have several tools at their disposal, including wage garnishment, tax refund interception, and suspension of driver’s licenses.

4. What if a parent refuses to pay child support in NH?
If a parent refuses to pay child support, they may face legal consequences, such as wage garnishment, contempt of court charges, or even imprisonment.

See also  Why Was Boston Legal Cancelled

5. Can child support be paid directly to the custodial parent in NH?
Yes, child support can be paid directly between parents. However, it is advisable to have a formal child support order in place to ensure proper documentation and enforcement if needed.

6. What if a parent’s income is difficult to determine in NH?
If a parent’s income is difficult to determine, the court may impute income based on their earning capacity or previous income history.

7. Can child support be modified if the custodial parent’s income changes in NH?
Yes, child support can be modified if either parent’s income significantly changes. A petition for modification can be filed with the court to request a review of the child support order.

8. Can child support be terminated if the non-custodial parent loses their job in NH?
Child support obligations do not automatically terminate if a non-custodial parent loses their job. However, they can request a modification based on the change in circumstances.

See also  What Is the Georgia Lemon Law

9. Can child support be paid in a lump sum in NH?
Child support is typically paid periodically, such as weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. However, if both parents agree and the court approves, a lump-sum payment may be possible in certain circumstances.

In conclusion, child support in New Hampshire is determined using the Income Shares Model, taking into account both parents’ incomes and allowable deductions. Child support orders can be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances, and the NH Division of Child Support Services can enforce these orders. It is essential for parents to understand their rights and responsibilities regarding child support to ensure the well-being of their children.